I'm off to Supanova shortly and looking forward to it very much, http://www.supanova.com.au/. For those who don't know about Supanova, it's an Aussie popular culture expo where the guests are either:
- Stars from various SF and fantasy movies and TV shows. This time they include Val Kilmer (Batman), Christopher Lloyd (Doc from Back to the Future), Colin Morgan (Merlin from the TV series), Billy Boyd (Pippin from Lord of the Rings, pictured) and Evanna Lynch (Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter).
- Lots of comic book and graphic artists such as Colin Wilson (Judge Dredd, Star Wars Invasion etc).
- Humble authors like myself, plus Marianne de Pierres, Rowena Cory Daniells, Isobelle Carmody (who's launching Vengeance in the Wrestling Ring on Sunday at 1 o'clock), Traci O'Hara and Kylie Chan.
Supanova is a vast, crowded gathering – the last one I went to, in Brisbane last April, had 23,000 visitors in two days.
What will I be doing there? Not much apart from signing books and going to Isobelle's own launch on Saturday afternoon. I'll be on the Dymocks signing table most of the two days, along with my fellow authors. It's a good place to sit and talk, between signings. Since I live in the country, I don't see other authors very often – sometimes I wouldn't talk to another author in person in six months.
It's also a great place to meet fans of my books and sign their books. If you've got a shelf full, bring along as many as you can carry and I'll sign the lot.
Apart from the Vengeance launch, I'll be talking at 2.20 pm on Sunday in the Seminar Room. See you there!
UPDATE, SATURDAY NIGHT, LATE – a very good day, must have been 10 -12,000 people there. Great crowds everywhere and lots of people stopped by to get their books signed.
The great success of the day though was the lovely Isobelle Carmody, who had gigantic queues all day, mainly for her sixth Obernewtyn book, which must be one of the longer running fantasy series in the world. The first book, Obernewtyn, was published in 1987, when Isobelle was still in high school, and has never been out of print in Australia since.
She would have signed as many books today as the other 5 or 6 authors together, and good on her.
- For more about me and my books: http://www.ian-irvine.com/
- To say Hi or talk to me about books and writing: http://www.facebook.com/ianirvine.author
- To follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/ianirvineauthor
- My blog about the business of writing and publishing: http://ianirvine.blogspot.com/